Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HALLELEUYAH ... I THINK

OK, so I had my banking information compromised last month. What a mess. It's not a fun process. Lots of money was taken out.

Anyways, my monthly payment to Big Impersonal Financial was returned while I cleaned things up. In turn, I was charged a returned check processing fee, and a late fee (which helps validate the fee and penalty cycle thesis I describe here). I sent a note from my bank explaining the situation. The processing fee is removed, but the late fee is not. Here's a brief overview of the exchange when I called Big Impersonal Financial ...

ME: Is this India? Look, all I need ... Never, mind. Please send me back to the United States, where someone with authority can fix this ... (I'm put on hold)

ME: Hello, here's my problem ... blah, blah, blah ...

THEM: "I'm sorry, but we have a policy ... if it's not Big Impersonal Financial's fault, they won't waive the late charge."

ME: You can see my predicament ... can you imagine if every company shared your policy, and I write 10-20 checks? I'm not only dealing with compromised bank information, but I've just lost out on $250-500. Does this seem right to you? Could you please just waive the fee ... It's not like I did this on purpose, or to avoid payment ... or because I'm evil. It seems like a good mix of customer service and human decency should prevail here. How about if you let me speak to an account manager?"

THEM: "I'm sorry Mr. Martinez, but our policy is ... you are going to have to send a letter ..."

ME: "Look, the facts won't change whether I send a letter or speak to a manager now ... It seems to me that your policy is designed to create more hurdles, which will discourage people from doing the paperwork ... especially since you know many people will just blow off $25 to 50.00"

THEM: I'm sorry, but you will have to send a letter."

ME: "You're a good taxpaying American citizen. What if this had happened to you? Would you think this is a good policy? Are you a Christian? What do you think Jesus would do?" (I have to admit, I just threw that one out there)

THEM: "I'm not going to get personal ..."

ME: "That means your not a Christian ..."

THEM: "Let me see if I can find a manager ..." (I'm put on hold)

THEM: "Well, it looks like they did waive the late fee. I just couldn't see it on the computer ... there was an 'X' over the waiver ..."

ME: HALLELEUYAH ... Praise the Lord! (Well, not really. It just didn't seem right. But I was thinking it)

So, you be the judge:
(1) Was the late fee removed before our conversation, but the person speaking to me didn't see it?
(2) Did the person on the other end of the line arbitrarily remove the fee because she was Christian and felt bad? or
(3) Did my badgering pay off?

- Mark

No comments: