Friday, March 28, 2008

EXPLAINING THE McCAIN VOTE ...

So, I’m talking politics with one of my republican friends this afternoon (who I thanked for lunch). As usual, we got around to talking about George Bush: Record deficits, incompetence in Katrina, collapsing influence abroad, the worst jobs creation record since Herbert Hoover, financial meltdowns requiring “Depression Era” tactics, etc. … He understands all of this and doesn’t even try to defend Bush. He even acknowledges that, as Lou Dobbs put it,
… This president pursues a war without demanding of his generals either success or victory and accepts the sacrifice of our brave young men and women in uniform while asking nothing of our people or the nation at a time of war … Sadly, this president has diminished a great nation and may diminish it further ...
Pretty clear, don’t you think? Still, my republican friend informed me that when November comes along he’s voting for the one person who promises to keep Bush’s Caravan-of-Incompetence going: Sen. John McCain. (What was it that Albert Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Oh, yeah … you’re nuts).

Now, keep in mind, my friend is an intelligent, successful individual. But somehow – like most republicans who will vote for John “100-years-in Iraq-is-OK-by-me” McCain – he allows logic to be taken into a back alley, where it can be mugged by ideology.

Then I had a deja vu moment. I start thinking, “The blind, comatose pursuit of proven dead-end fantasies is not new.” I just had to figure out where I’d seen this picture before. Hmmmm … and then it hit me: Hollywood already turned meandering, lifeless judgment into a movie ...



- Mark

No comments: