Wednesday, April 27, 2016

NAPOLEON'S SHADOW IN THE MODERN WORLD


“I Saw the Crown of
France Laying on the Ground, 
So I Picked It Up With My sword.”

- Napoleon Bonaparte
____________________

In my International Relations Theory class we're getting further into the section on international regimes. Here we discuss why cooperation at the international level happens, in spite of the fact that fear and distrust guarantee that aggression and war are always just around the corner. The story of Napoleon, and the quote above, always move our discussions in the right direction. 

Another Napoleon quote - "The more I study the world the more I am convinced of the inability of brute force to create anything durable" - helps most students see that one of history's greatest soldiers understood both the limits and the inefficacy of the military option in the modern world.

- Mark

No comments: