Wednesday, September 15, 2010

AN INVASTION OF PRIVACY? THE OTHER SIDE OF ROBO CALLS

I'm receiving annoying robo calls from a major car company who's trying to collect a late payment from one of their clients. I'm given the name and the amount that's due.


I have no clue who the person is, but knowing the amount, the name, the brand, and the area code they're dialing has given me some good information. Calling the car company's center made it clear that I can get more information rather easily. In fact - with the idea of letting the consumer know what I know - I have a good idea who to call because I pulled up a list of similar names with one simple search, which took all of 15 seconds.

So, here's my question. Are these type of robo calls an invasion of privacy? Do they lend themselves to greater ID and consumer fraud? I find it hard to believe that they don't.

- Mark

No comments: