Monday, December 7, 2009

PETER PAN, DARWIN & OUR HEALTH CARE DEBATE

From time to time I've gotten into e-mail discussions about what I write in the Bakersfield Californian, what I say on radio or TV, or for what I presented in my book. Or I'll get stuff from local conservative politicos, which reminds me why living here in Bakersfield is so much fun for a Liberal like me. There's a lot of good conservative material to comment on. Usually it involves some naive assertion about how wonderful markets, Christ, or freedom are (or some variant thereof).

Then there are the self-appointed geniuses. They like to use Latin terms (poorly) and then take me down intellectual cul de sacs that make sense only if you like debating word definitions and/or their Rush Limbaugh-Glenn Beck-FOX News-fed interpretation of events. This winds up with them telling me how much smarter they are than people in academia (which includes me too). I know they're smart because conservatives tell me they are (what more proof do I need?). This usually trails into the self-styled genius confiding to me how nice it is that "a couple of intellectuals like us" can discuss the issues (being demoted and elevated to genius level in a span of 15 minutes is always fun).

Whatever the topic, it always includes statements about how great everything would be if we just let markets, Christ, freedom, etc. work their "magic."

No real knowledge of history, spirituality, nor a sense of the human condition are necessary. Research? Nah. Studying an issue? Too egg-headish. Catholics? Going to hell (something about icons). You just need to believe in their fairytopia world, where people do good because it's the right thing to do ... as long as you believe. Tax cuts for the rich? Don't worry, they won't produce deficits (this time). Seriously. At some point I expect Peter Pan to emerge. 


At the end of our exchanges I'm usually entertained with direct or indirect judgments about "moral degenerates" sucking off the system. This usually stops the discussion because a line has been drawn, and the sense of rugged individualism these geniuses attribute to themselves is beyond debate. They have won Darwin's evolutionary race to top. Just ask them. Debate over.



This, ironically, is counter intuitive when you consider that many of these Darwinian winners also claim to be Christians. When I acknowledge their evolutionary greatness and point out, just for kicks, that what they're suggesting about themselves fits in with what Darwin said about evolution they go ape (figuratively speaking, of course). The discussion is usually finished once we reach the functional equivalent of an Ayn Rand puppet show.

I discuss all of this because I got the following on the health care debate from a prominent local politico the other day.

I HAVE BEEN OPPOSED TO MEDICARE FROM THE BEGINNING. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES.

I REFUSED TO ALLOW MY MOTHER TO USE MEDICARE OR MEDI-CAL WHEN SHE HAD KIDNEY FAILURE. IT IS HERS AND MY RESPONSIBILITY AND NOT THE REST OF AMERICA. SHE HAD INSURANCE AND SHE HAD SAVED FOR A RAINY DAY.
I thought to myself, "How is it that rather than saying, 'Thank God that my family is blessed, and that we have had the good fortune to do well for ourselves' this person would rather put himself on a pedestal and wag fingers at the rest of the world?".

I know part of it has to do with him pounding his chest (like an ape?) about his personal accomplishments. So I responded with this:

Dear____________.

According to the Bible there are four causes for poverty and the conditions that make Medicare a necessity. Laziness, or what you might want to call a lack of personal responsibility, is just one of them. Look, you can't speak about "personal responsibility" if people are getting ripped off, are wrongly judged, or are thrown into a condition through no fault of their own. A man getting run over by a truck because he didn't look both ways is no different from a man run over by a drunk driver. I would like to think that I would still care. If I couldn't do anything to help I have no problem pitching in to support those who can. Or does your sense of personal responsibility say, "Let them die in a ditch"?

As well, you want to keep in mind that the party you work for has been systematically transferring wealth from one class (the middle-class) to another (America's already rich) with government support. The wealth that has been created over the previous generation is not a product of hard work and personal sacrifice alone. It's also a product of favorable legislation, especially in the financial sector. That you would confuse hard work and personal responsibility with write-offs, subsidies and favorable legislation explains much. It especially explains why republicans continue to think that more of the same is exactly what we need in order to clean up the mess Reagan started and Bush finished off.

I didn't get a response. It doesn't matter. It probably would have been incoherent and ancedotal.

Still, I think it's important that we understand what we're trying to do when it comes to this health care debate. As a result, I'm going to synopsize the numerous health care posts I have presented here into a brief overview (no more than 750 words) explaining why health care reform is absolutely necessary. No FOX News sound bites. No Glenn Beck emotional breakdowns. No Rush Limbaugh ignorance. Just simple policy points, and how health care reform will make America stronger. I'll make it interesting too.

I'll post it by this time tomorrow.

- Mark

No comments: