Tuesday, January 20, 2009

RUSH LIMBAUGH: AN AMERICAN FOOL

Here's Rush Limbaugh on Barack Obama: "I hope he fails."

Here's his rationale:

Were the liberals out there hoping Bush succeeded or were they out there trying to destroy him before he was even inaugurated?
Rush forgets that liberals weren't out to "destroy" Bush. Rather, liberals questioned his legitimacy because he cheated. End of story.

Still, liberals like me wanted Bush to do well. After all, we are in this together. In fact, because of Bush's ties and early policy leanings on Mexico, I actually said he might become a pretty good president if he got NAFTA and immigration right. Others agreed. I know because I was at a bi-national conference with Mexican agriculture experts and other academics in Washington, D.C. when Mexico's Vicente Fox and George W. Bush got together to discuss NAFTA and immigration early in September of 2001. We were cautiously optimistic.

Then 9/11 hit.


I still count my lucky stars that I decided to return on my regularly scheduled flight, rather than stay an extra day in DC to visit with a friend I hadn't seen in years. If I had stayed I would have been on American Airlines flight 77, which hit the Pentagon. You can imagine, if I wanted Bush to do well before, I was especially supportive after 9/11.

In fact, I was called to do a series of commentaries on CBS's Channel 29 and publicly said on TV that I wanted Bush to do well. We all did. It was the moment, and it was genuine. But Bush screwed it up. Big time. None of us wanted what Bush has left Barack Obama. I seriously fear our nation's economic collapse because of the mess Bush has left us all.

At the end of the day, while liberals might have seen President Bush's election as tainted, the vast majority of us wanted him to do well. Why anyone would want any president to fail in this environment is beyond me.

Rush Limbaugh is no patriot. He's an idiot and a fool.

- Mark

No comments: