Tuesday, May 13, 2008

EXPLAINING THE McCAIN VOTE, II


On Saturday we read a letter from a "Friend" who seems to dislike Barack Obama. Not because he's an African-American, mind you. Our Friend is so sophisticated that he's moved beyond race which, incredibly enough, makes him an authority on sniffing out trouble as it relates to race (I know, I know ... forget the logical inconsistency here for a moment; they do).

Believing that he has pulled back the curtain that reveals who Oz really is, our Friend believes he has also sniffed out Obama's secret positions - Obama doesn't like America and, apparently, hates himself.

From his correspondence to me, here's the beginnning of our Friend's "Obama's A Hater" logic ...

I was referred to your site by a friend ... I am sorry I went there. Your article "Time For A Loyalty Oath?" made me cringe. I think you are quite a pompous @%?-hole. It has been proven, in previous recordings of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons, that he is anti-white. And to say "God damn America", I can't think of anything worse. He is a racist, prejudiced bastard, and anyone who follows his beliefs does not deserve to be president ...
Our writer (who apparently doesn't like me either) then uses his insights on race in America to tell me this ...

To me, [attending Wright's church] makes Obama prejudiced as well because he follows someone who is. It has nothing to do with Black America. I would be equally angry if a white pastor of a white presidential candidate said, "God damn America." That person would lose my vote. That is no kind of attitude to have towards a country you want to lead.

So I was thinking. What would our letter writer say about President Bush after reading Bush's reported response to those who reminded him that certain provisions he wanted in the Patriot Act might violate the Constitution:


“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!

It appears that President Bush, who had a history of ignoring the law (2 or 3 arrests? can't remember) and shirking his duties in the National Guard, is the type of person our letter writer would not have voted for - but I suspect that he did anyways. Then he probably voted for him again after President Bush lied to us about the reasons for war, and violated the Constitution while pursuing his Blundering Wars Project.

Barack Obama, however, doesn't have this kind of history. Yet, our Friend doesn't believe Obama is fit for the White House because of something he thinks (and wants to believe) Rev. Wright said.

So, here we have President Bush, who refused direct orders to take a drug test and all but told the National Guard to "Go to Hell" because he wanted to party in Alabama ... and Barack Obama, a man Conservatives want to tie to remarks made by another man that were taken out of context.

At the end of the day, it really shouldn't come as a surprise that this nation is where it's at under President Bush. His Enablers will simply invent and run with a fantasy world that make their beliefs come true (at least in their minds). They reside in a world where they believe if they click their Ruby Red Shoes enough times and repeat "It's true, it's really true ..." they can justify both their desparate positions, and the past incompetence of the Bush administration.

This, my friends, helps explain the McCain vote.

- Mark

P.S. Here's the link to my first "Explaining the McCain Vote."

No comments: